The shocking truth about shock.

A lot of people put shock in their pool thinking that it’s going to help and for the most part it does. The problem comes when anything goes wrong with the pool. Alow me to explane, chlorine is a gas, so in order to get it into your pool you have to mix it with something else to get it into a solid state. shock is actually mixed with something called sign or Cyanuric acid, which is a something you want to have in your pool but if the only product that you’re using is shock then what you’re doing is your continuously putting Cyanuric acid in your pool. Unlike the other chemical that makes up shock which is chlorine Cyanuric acid has a tendency to stay in your pool for long periods of time, until it is removied by backwashing or draining. now why do you want some Cyanuric acid in your pool? Cyanuric acid is also know as Stabilizer, it helps the chlorine stay in your water. The problem is chlorine even though you have Cyanuric acid in your pool chlorine evaporates out of your pool water and or gets used up by fighting algae and the other things that chlorine is trying to kill inside your water. The Cyanuric acid does not have that obstacle to overcome so it stays in your water. When you “shock” continuously what you’re doing is your actually increasing the Cyanuric acid levels stedaly but the chlorine levels go up fight off what they need to then they come right back down. because you’re using up chlorine in but you’re not using up that much Cyanuric acid so over time that will causes the Cyanuric acid acid levels to be very very high and when they get to a certain point you’ll actually cause a chlorine lock then no matter how much chlorine you put in it will not do a thing. I’m currently working on a on a pool that’s greener than green Kool Aid (see pic) and it has Cyanuric acid levels off the chart because of a chlorine lock as a result I’m going to have to drain the pool to dilute that Cyanuric acid enough to get it down to where I can get the water to absorb some chlorine to get it clear again. There’s nothing wrong with using shock, just be very careful and monitor all of your chemicals not just chlorine and pH that is not the only thing that you need to look at when you’re maintaining your pool.

So like my customer with the green Kool-Aid pool asked me “What is the answer?” Part of it is above monitor all you levels or hire a CPO to do it for you. I do and would shy away from shock. Use in stead Cal-hypo (Calcium Hypochlorite) for you granular and sticks (witch are the same chemical as “Shock”) that way you are getting some of every thing that your pool needs if you are watching your levels.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me